Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mother Talk Book Review: 10-10-10 By Suzy Welch


Generally? I don't hesitate.

I have things to do. Places to go. People to meet. I make decisions like lightening. I keep things moving.

I just read a book that might, just possibly, change my way of thinking.

In 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea Suzy Welch advises us to first frame the dilemma in the form of a question, and then weigh the pros and cons of the possible outcomes in the present (10 minutes), in the future (10 months) and in the distant future (10 years).

Simple, right?

But not so much, when you think about it.

The present? I do okay with. I generally err on the side of caution when dealing with people. You catch more flies with honey, right? Okay, sometimes when they aren't listening I say something inappropriate. But I'm going to be nice to their face, right? I AM Southern after all.

The 10 months and 10 years? Pfffft. Never. I've never thought ahead like that. Oh sure, I save money and have a 401k and do things like remember to cook dinner (most of the time). But, if I'm being honest, I've hardly ever thought about how my decisions will follow me for years.

This was a timely book for me, as I'm struggling with how to deal with several situations AND I've been pleasantly surprised in how other things are going, just because I've made a small effort.

I really think this book will help me in my decision-making.

I never thought I'd say that about a book. But. There you go. It was a great book!

No comments: