Monday, December 10, 2007

WiiJoicing.

Boy Child and Girl Child are getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. From Jason.

He works for a finance company, but they do more than make loans. They also do taxes and sell products. Some of the products they sell are things they have repossessed that have been placed as collateral on loans they've made. When people didn't pay, they go get the 35 year old van or whatever. But they also sell products that are brand new and in-demand.

Since he's the manager, he gets a certain number of "points" for each product loan he makes. He also gets points when his employees sell products. He gets bonus points when he sells a certain number or the most in the state or whatever. Which he often does because that man could sell ice in mass quantities to Santa Claus.

But anyway. He gets these points. And the points he can use to purchase high-end "stuff". Like stainless steel appliances and new golf clubs.

But what does he buy with his points? A Wii. The man who has absolutely zero interest in video games whatsoever and would absolutely love a new set of golf clubs, buys a Wii.

He called me, as he brought it home, to make sure the children were in another room when he came in, so they wouldn't dare see what he was bringing home. He was giddy when he wrapped it up and hid it in the closet and even more giddy as he told me the elaborate plan he had to let them open all their other gifts and then, ever so casually say, "I think there is one more!"

I wrote a tag out for him, since I was already making other tags for other gifts. I handed it to him and he frowned.

"You can write From: Mom and Dad," he said. "It can be from you too."

I said, no. That it was a special gift, just from him.

Later that night he said, "I feel bad, because that will be their favorite gift. I feel like it should be from you too."

I smiled.

Because he doesn't know, he just doesn't get, that seeing that little tag that says:
To: Boy Child and Girl Child
From: Daddy

is the best gift that I could have ever asked for.

I said, "For many years all the presents under the tree said, 'From Mommy'. They've never ever had one that just said, 'From Daddy'. Let's just leave it."

He smiled and said, "That was probably the sweetest thing I've ever heard."

I smiled. My heart was full.





Five minutes later, he said, "You realize I'll be the cool parent now, right?"


It's still worth it.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

How freaking SWEET!! ACK!! I love it!!

Julie said...

Sniff sniff. I've said it before and I'll say it again - awwww, Jason.

I especially love the dig at the end! : )

Dawn~a~Bon said...

Awww that's awesome!

My sister and BIL are getting niecey-poo and sweetie nephew a Wii. I am excited for them because those things? Are fun. And that's from a girl who doesn't particularly like video games. Andrew and I played Wii for about an hour last weekend, and it was a blast!

Jason knocked that one out of the park!

Joy T. said...

Well isn't that just the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time. Those children are going to grow up and tell the world they had the two greatest parents EVER!!

Angie said...

I have had a crappy and a half day. This made me smile.

Thank you. I almost got verklempt and even cry a little when I read the part where you said that was all the gift YOU needed.

Oh my gravy. You make my day!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Chick? I am crying. As in tears pouring down my face. Oi.

Mich said...

Seriously, that post needed a TISSUE warning--I'm all teared up. That's about the sweetest thing, ever!

And the Wii-ventures that will commence will be Wii-tastic!

Unknown said...

That just made me feel all warm and fuzzy. And the Wii is like the most fun thing ever! We enjoy the heck out of ours. I suck at it, and I'm not competitive, but I have fun.

Unknown said...

that's awesome. I'm sure the kids will love the Wii - wii do at our house!

Krista said...

That is so neat. My husband gets points like that but I am in charge of spending them. Which is really great... but this is just a sweet story! Gotta love those points!

dawn224 said...

Ohhhhhhh I've come in late, I need to go archiving now. I love this post.

Anonymous said...

He really will be the cool parent!

frannie said...

I think Christmas came a little early for you....

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I really want to trade husbands with you when I read posts like this. And when my husband spends the night playing video games all night like he is right now. But that's another story...

Joey said...

Thank you for bringing tears to my eyes.

Seriously.

Unknown said...

Way to go Jason! And, I think it's okay that he'll be the cool parent. You'll be the more-in-love-with-him-than-ever-mom.

NEVER AGAIN said...

And then this Grinch's heart grew and grew and grew...and her eye teared up a little...

Emma in Canada said...

Oh so sweet! My kids love the Wii, even Saoirse loves to play golf on it. I think Jason knew that he was doing a pretty good trade off.

I also think that now you need to surprise him with "one more gift." I just bought Liam a controller thingeremajinger for the Wii at Costco that has a tennis racket, something else, and a expandle golf clug. It was all of $18.49! Surely Wii's golf is better than the real thing?

Denise said...

Damn! Cant get the Wii anywhere in my area. I have been searching and searching. Go Jason!!!

CPA Mom said...

Tissues, tissues, where are my tissues. Damn it. You need warnings on posts like this. Winners all around in this family. You made my WEEK Chick, thanks.

Ry said...

You (4) are blessed!

Alpha Dude said...

Wow.

Your husband is so totally freaking awesome!

Blessings to you, Chick!

Happy Working Mom said...

How totally sweet! You're right, that would be the best present ever!

Dreamer said...

That's so so sweet.

M said...

I love him on almost as many bagels as I love you and your little kids too on! So while he may not have had any home training from HOME? He learned it darn good in the last half dozen or so years with you. He rocks.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Damn, how awesome is Jason! And you for letting him be the cool parent for now! Sweet story.

Amy W said...

Love it, how FREAKING sweet.

Please take pictures.

I got my husband a Wii as well. Just don't ask me where I got it, I ain't telling.

Mason and Terri's Mom said...

AWE! that is tooo sweet! My hubby got the Wii for "us" a couple of months ago. I HATE IT! lol. But I am soo sure your kids will be the envy of all their friends!

Priscilla said...

'snif'

(blowing my nose)

Shit Chick! I'm at work for crying out loud! Literally.

Anonymous said...

Heart just freaking exploded in my chest.

You all make me so very, very happy.

Mrs. Booms said...

I'm touched and teary eyed... Oh and so freaking jealous it's not funny. All my kid wants for Christmas is a goat and a wii and I can't make either happen... but I think her dad may have the goat covered.

Whatever on the goat, it's weird, I know. I mean I understand a pony... not so weird... but a goat??? Yeah, weird. As long as it's at his crazy house and not mine... then who am I to judge.

And this little mental melt down was brought to by the letter C for Crazyman... who evidently has a crazywoman for a mother.