Okay, so remember this?
Well. She wrote me back.
She read everything you guys said. And she wanted to answer a few questions (and, just so you guys won't think I'm a big cockslap for posting her business? She asked me to do this).
1) She's thirty-five and he's forty. They've been together since she was twenty and he was twenty-five.
2) They live together and have since 1999.
3) They have two kids together.
4) They have talked, repeatedly, about getting married.
His response apparently has always been, "I'm not ready yet" or "Not now" or "Maybe next year".
And apparently? She was pretty pissed.
Oh and also this:
5) She didn't call HIM a douchebag. She just used the word douchebag in an effort to impress me.
(She said that. Seriously. As if it would take THAT MUCH to impress me. Gah!)
She read all of your comments and decided she would confront him.
They broke up.
BUT! She said (in part) this:
It sucks, but I really want to thank you for posting my problem on your blog. You have a really great group of readers and they were right. We did need to talk about it instead of just avoiding it year after year. He was never going to marry me. I'm sad, but I now know that it is time to move on...I just couldn't compromise on this one.
So tell your readers "thanks". Tell them "douchebag" for good measure. :)
And just like that? I kind of remembered why I blog every day.