Thursday, October 04, 2007

Adding to my wrongness.

Once upon a time a reader named Lisa asked me for a recipe for potato soup. I, as is typical, forgot to send it to her. She remembered though and probably thinks I suck now.

So here it is. I would say better late than never, but I hate that expression.

Potato Soup
3 lbs red bliss potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup plain flour
8 cups 1/2 and 1/2
16 oz. block cheddar cheese, melted (you can use Velveeta, if you wanna)
Pepper
Garlic powder
1/2 lb. bacon, fried until it's crispy
1 cup cheddar cheese shreds
Chives and parsley, if you feel like it.

Dice unpeeled red potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
Place in large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil.
Let boil for 10 minutes or until 3/4 cooked.
In a separate pan, combine melted margarine and flour, mixing until smooth.
Place over low heat and gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly.
Continue to stir until smooth and liquid begins to thicken.
Add melted cheddar cheese (or Velveeta).
Stir well.
Drain potatoes and add to cream mixture.
Stir in pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place soup into individual serving bowls and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. You can add chives and parsley also, if you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds great. Gonna try to make it.

BTW, I think your flippin funny. Love your blog.

SJINCO said...

Mmmmmm potatoes. I might just have to try this out, thanks for sharing!

NEVER AGAIN said...

TY TY TY TY!

However, if I find out anyone used Velveeta on perfectly good potato soup I will LURK them....