Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How I wrote a book, got it published, and changed my world. Or something. Part four!

My firm resolve? It lasted about two days.

Something about this book kept drawing me back to it. I couldn't stop reading it and I couldn't stop writing it. I kept tightening things up and going over them again and again to make sure they made sense. I would wake up in the middle of the night and think about it.

I had a love/hate relationship with it.

With a book.

I finally got up the nerve to ask another friend to look at it. I can't remember if this was at the same time I sent it to another two publishers or if it was just slightly before that happened (or slightly after). It was all around the same time though, I do remember that.

On October 13th I sent out two queries. Both were online.

The same day I got an email from Michelle Brown at Inkwater Press. It was an automated email that tells you more about their company. The email promised she would read my manuscript.

I had heard that before.

I also got an email from the agent I had queried which said she would be out of her office for the entire month of November. I then wished I was an agent so I could, a) get myself a sweet publishing deal and b) take all of November off.

Alas.

At that point? Something happened. My birthday, I think. Jason was out of town. I got busy (busier, I guess) and I didn't exactly forget about those emails, but I wasn't checking my email every five seconds either. I had stuff going on and just because that stuff was only eating copious amounts of mexican food and giving my dog refried beans which TOTALLY MADE HER HAVE RANK FARTS, well, so what? It was stuff, right?

Then, on October 21st I just happened to look at my email and was surprised to find I had a response.


To be continued...

4 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I love that even though I know the ending I'm totally on the edge of my seat here...

SJINCO said...

Rank dog farts are the worst! I'd really hate to see what my dogs would do if I gave them re-fried beans. It would NOT be pretty I can assure you.

Can't wait till the next part! Hurry.....

Alpha Dude said...

You know, you are really good at leaving us hanging and wanting for more.

But, alas, I shall return agina tomorrow for the next installment.

TTFN.

Alpha Dude said...

I have no idea what agina means, but I will return AGAIN, though.