Monday, June 29, 2009

It's the little things.

As I have well documented, my husband is not exactly the most romantic person ever.

I knew I was in trouble very early in our relationship when he advised me of the date of his birth, February 15th, and stated how glad he was that his mom held him in that extra day so he wouldn't have the pressure to be romantic that came along with being born on Valentine's Day.

No problem there. Not even close.

Not that he's not a nice man. He is. He's funny and kind and especially sweet to old women. Old women freaking love him.

But to me? Well, he said to me last night, "Is this the same brand of taco seasoning you normally use? Because it's okay. Well, it's edible. But it's not the same one you normally use."

And sometimes? When I need him to say, "You are beautiful!" he says, "I find you attractive." Meaning, when I'm in that state of mind, "No one ELSE on the PLANET would ever find you attractive. But that's okay. I do."

So he decided we needed to fix the road in front of our driveway. Because, apparently, we are now working for the city of Knoxville, in addition to the rest of our 11000 jobs. We bought quick-cement and rocks. We dragged our hose to the front of the house and brought the shovel out of the basement. It took a couple of hours, but we smoothed it out pretty nicely. I was resentful the entire time (the question, "Why, again, are we doing the job of the city when our taxes are so outrageous?" might have passed my lips a few times), but it turned out nicely.

I went under the house and put away the shovel. Went to the side of the house and turned off the water. I came to the front and Jason was sitting on the road, smoothing the cement with his hands.

I went to him to see if he wanted a drink and I saw what he was actually doing.

Which was, of course, writing our initials in the cement.

He noticed me, looked up, and smiled.

"Even when we don't live here, this will be our road," he explained. "Our initials will be here forever."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't.

"Forever," he said again. "Like me and you."




The littlest things are the biggest things ever. That's the truth.

29 comments:

Breigh said...

Omg I almost got weepy right there. That has to make up for at least 150 times he wasn't romantic!!

Halala Mama said...

Isn't that fabulous? And how can he tell that you switched taco seasoning? It all tastes the same. Seriously.

Little Red Hen said...

Personally, I make my own taco seasoning, so it always tastes different! But that aside, that is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard of a man saying! You have a good one, and I am happy that you both love each other so much! You deserve a love that great!

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely DYING!!

That's, like, the most romantic thing I've ever heard!!!!

Jill said...

awww. sigh. mine isn't romantic. maybe someday he'll think of something like that, though.

Bexterrific said...

Le sigh...

I love it. :)

Sally said...

That's adorable!

Remember this sweet gesture the next time you want to bust his face :)

Dawn~a~Bon said...

Aww that is super sweet!

I'm sure the tacos were delish - and you're hot! Attractive smacktive. You're the hottttness!

Jo said...

That actually made me cry. Your hubby sounds a LOT like my hubby in the 'not romantic at all except once in a while he shocks the crap out of you' category.

...and I second what Sally said about remembering it the next time you want to bust his face. LOL

Kim said...

The Boy did good!

Anonymous said...

OK break out the kleenex, that was just tooo sweet!!!

Unknown said...

awwww! That gave me the warm fuzzies :D

Living said...

beautiful!

ahead26 said...

This was incredibly sweet!!! Sounds like my husband who usually acts like he could care less and then out of the blue he lets you know how deeply he cares!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow.

He reminds me of Neil. Not much for romantic gestures, but when he does say or do something extra sweet it stands out all the more for it.

Mark Aubrey said...

Tell him to stop it. Do you know how much pressure that puts on other husbands. We wash dishes, help with laundry, hang ceiling fans, but with those we can't carve our initials in them. Well, we could, but then all the china would be scratched, jeans would need patching and the fan blades would wobble.

Tell him to stop. Now.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, now that is just the sweetest EVER!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that's too stinkin' sweet

SJINCO said...

Aww, so sweet. It may have even brought tears to my eyes!

You have a gem there girl, you really do!

Jenski said...

Awwwwww....

Allie said...

Awww, Jason is so precious!

ZDub said...

That is the sweetest fucking thing I have heard in a long time.

He got mad bonus points for that.

ZDub said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh! Those little things ARE big! My husband is like that, too.

Jocelyn said...

Ah, he's into construction-based romanticism! Just give him a jigsaw and a non-functioning chest freezer, and see if he doens't carve a heart out of it!

Patience said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

What is it with guys and wet cement? They have to write something in it! May as well be something nice tho!

Angie said...

Mark told me about your entry while we were waiting for the concert to begin last night. So sweet. . . .

Sarah said...

This is so sweet!

Beyond Alice said...

Freaking ADORABLE. My hubs isn't too big on the romance either. But I agree...those little things totally make up for it! :)